According to the Health Survey for England 2017, 28.7 % of the adult population in England suffer from obesity, and 35.6 % of adults are overweight. Men are more likely than women to be overweight or obese. The survey estimates that 67.2 % of men and 61.5 % of women face weight issues. People aged 65-74 are most likely to be overweight or obese. Astonishingly, but only 33 % of adults have normal weight at the age of 35 – 451.
Actually, these are not just figures. They show the seriousness of the problems and reveal the number of people suffering from psychological problems, low self-esteem, and sad relationship stories. Also, they are at high risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, certain cancers, and other chronic diseases.
If you belong to the majority and want to lose weight or if you have a normal weight but you wish to maintain it healthy, have you ever thought of CBD?
Possible benefits of CBD
A number of studies found it is a natural method that can help you solve your weight problems. According to findings, CBD may help regulate your metabolism and decrease the apetite2. Also, it may help to “brown” the body fat and so improve your muscle mass3. Besides, CBD may help to overcome anxiety and improve the sleep quality4 that contributes to weight loss.
For those, who have decided to try CBD for weight loss, tips below may help;
Use high-quality CBD
Today there are many manufacturers of CBD-related products. How not to become puzzled among this large number of unclear brands and how to avoid the risk of being scammed? Read the instruction on the pack and find out whether the product has the characteristics included:
- CBD oil should be extracted from industrial hemp through CO2 extraction5
- The manufacturer’s label should include independent third-party lab testing results to guarantee purity and content of the product6
- The hemp used for CBD oil production should be grown by a reputable firm carrying out its economic activities in accordance with the European Union regulations on hemp cultivation7
- The manufacturer should offer a money-back guarantee.
Dosing for weight loss
Endocannabinoid system, also known as cell-signalling system or human universal regulator8 9, is a unique complex that still isn’t fully understood. And scientists cannot explain why CBD affects any two people differently. Factors influencing its effectiveness include genetics, previous history of use, medical history, weight, age, and others.
A person who wants to lose weight has to think about proper dosing especially when someone is a first time user. First, start with small doses and follow the old medical rule – take minimum effective dose10. Usually, users are recommended to start with 5 mg of CBD and maintain such dosing for several days to check the effectiveness. If required, increase the dose gradually. And remember that CBD is not a magic cure and it is reasonable to take CBD for up to 30 days to feel the full range of its effects.
For higher effectiveness, it is necessary to change your diet. Avoid fast food, sweets, alcohol, and other products that can increase your weight. Also, add exercise to your weekly routine. An active and healthy lifestyle will undoubtedly bring some changes to your body. CBD may help you facilitate this difficult process.
- Health Survey for England 2017 [NS]. NHS Digital. https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/health-survey-for-england/2017. Accessed February 13, 2020.
- Koch M. Cannabinoid Receptor Signaling in Central Regulation of Feeding Behavior: A Mini-Review. Front Neurosci. 2017;11. doi:10.3389/fnins.2017.00293
- Parray HA, Yun JW. Cannabidiol promotes browning in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Mol Cell Biochem. 2016;416(1):131-139. doi:10.1007/s11010-016-2702-5
- Shannon S, Lewis N, Lee H, Hughes S. Cannabidiol in Anxiety and Sleep: A Large Case Series. Perm J. 2019;23. doi:10.7812/TPP/18-041
- Nogueira GC, Vardanega R, Meireles MAA. Cannabis extraction by supercritical CO2: state of art and future perspectives. :8.
- Astorino D. How to Buy the Best Safe and Effective CBD Products. yahoo! lifestyle. https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/buy-best-safe-effective-cbd-120009997.html. Published February 21, 2019. Accessed February 13, 2020.
- EU regulations on hemp cultivation. http://www.internationalhempassociation.org/jiha/jiha4113.html. Accessed February 13, 2020.
- Sallaberry C, Astern L. The Endocannabinoid System, Our Universal Regulator. Journal of Young Investigators; 2018. doi:10.22186/jyi.34.5.48-55
- Zou S, Kumar U. Cannabinoid Receptors and the Endocannabinoid System: Signaling and Function in the Central Nervous System. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19(3). doi:10.3390/ijms19030833
- Millar SA, Stone NL, Bellman ZD, Yates AS, England TJ, O’Sullivan SE. A systematic review of cannabidiol dosing in clinical populations. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2019;85(9):1888-1900. doi:10.1111/bcp.14038